Monday, July 24, 2006

Hot-Lanta

Many of you know that this is probably my favorite week in all of youth ministry. Yeah...right. This is our time to visit the "Great American Theme Park," known as Six Flags over Georgia. I can not tell you how excited I am to visit this park 3 years in row. I bet there is not a lot of people who have been able to do that feat, except in if you are a part of the Vaughn Park youth ministry, or any other youth ministry, for that matter. This brings up an interresting point...I can not stand people who like to brag on how many times they have been to Six Flags. Who cares if you stood in the heat, sweating, with your beer gut hanging out. I sure don't! I hate this trip because I am literally scared of the rides, but I love hanging out with the teens.

Let me tell you the reason why I am scared of riding the rides. Many of you do not know this story, and you can still ridicule me for not riding the rides, but I could care less. I use to like to visit this park, that will remain nameless because it is a cuss word in my vocabulary. When I was 10, I would ride those rides, and do all the dumb things that involve risk, but that would soon change. About 4 years ago, I was visiting this park with one of my friends who was an intern in Atlanta. The only reason I went was to hangout with him, and some of his friends. There was a girl in the college group, at the church where he worked, so I hung out with her for the most of the day, which was great. When we got there, Brent said, "you need to ride the ride that shoots straight-up, and drops you down." So, I did, but it was the worst mistake I made. After I got off that ride, I really thought I was going to have a heart attack. I asked Brent to feel my chest, and he told me to take it easy. So, I did, and I hung out with my new friend that I met. Ever since then, I just do not like to ride roller coasters, but I love watching idoits who do. I am going to have fun in at Six Flags over Georgia, talking to Bugs Bunny!

So, youth ministries, beer-gutted men and women, can have their fun at Six Flags...just not me. Guess what? This is some exciting news. I am going to another wedding in Tennessee, this weekend, and we know what that means...guarders and dancing. This is an experience that we all do not get to have. I will let you know how it goes, in a couple of weeks. I will let the excitment build, just like waiting in line to a ride roller coaster.

4 comments:

Lerra said...

With the exception of last year, I had been to Six Flags every year since I was in 6th grade. There's some bragging for you, only I don't have a beer gut. And I loved every year of it, even the first 5 or 6 when I was afraid to ride the roller coasters. Yep...my first roller coaster was when I was 17. Now I absolutely LOVE them. I don't LOVE all rides at 6 Flags, but I do LOVE roller coasters. Except the Georgia Cyclone. That one will break your back. Stay away. That & the Ninja...except didn't they tear the Ninja down??

Lauren said...

i agree, laura! i love the rollercoasters, except for the cyclone and the ninja! the ninja NEVER has a line... mostly because everybody has gotten a clue. i'm not sure if they have torn it down or not, but they sure better soon before people get seriously injured! anyway johnny, this blog made me laugh so hard! have fun talking to bugs!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

yall have fun!!!!

Lauren said...

my mom says "read lauren's blog to read my comment".